Pacific Highway Border Crossing
Pacific Highway Border Crossing maintains the connection between the border cities of the United States and Canada (Blaine in Washington and Surrey of British Columbia). The history of this bridge dates back to 1913 as this step began to be used as an option to the Border Crossing of the Peace Arch, however, the disadvantage it presented was that it was simply a dirt road. Then in 1923 after it was paved it became a preferred border crossing.
Its location is on the Pacific Highway whose extension is from San Diego, California to Vancouver, British Columbia.
Due to the rudimentary nature of this crossing area at the time of its inception, Canadian border inspectors began operating outside the stores initially installed to maintain control of the passage, until finally the special offices for this type of operation were built . Even for several years the officers remained in a wooden building until the construction of the new border station could be completed in 1935.
The current construction of Canada exists since 1986. On the other hand, on the United States side the officers worked using the facilities of a huge industrial building until finally the construction of the brick border station was carried out in 1931, after which construction was completed in the year 1987 of the facilities that are known today. Currently, the Pacific Highway zone that crosses the border is known as the British Columbia Highway 15 in the Canada section and as Route 543 of the US state of Washington.
With the increase in trade relations between the two countries, the border crossing became more important, becoming the main option for the border crossing of commercial vehicles between Blaine and Surrey since approximately 1970. Statistically today it is among the five busiest commercial border crossings on the border between the United States and Canada.